Friday, December 17, 2010

Saying Goodbye to Grandma

Saying goodbye is hard. Saying goodbye in a dream then waking up is even harder.

I dreamt my mother, my grandmother and I were at Longs Drugs (I refuse to call it CVS now, fuck that). Only this one is huge like a Wal Mart. My grandma is wearing my sweats from Middle School for some reason, my favorite sweats that are so baggy and huge, as was the fashion in 1998, that they STILL fit me to this day.

She said she had to go to the bathroom and we continue shopping. We buy nothing and we go in search of my grandma to the bathroom.

We find her sitting at a chair outside the bathroom door, with a serene smile. My mother says something along the lines of "Lets go Mom".

"you guys go, I think I'll stay here" she answers back. Thats when it hits me. My grandma passed away on March 23, 2009. How in the F is she here shopping with us?

"Ok thats NOT creepy" my smartass mutters as we leave the store my mother and I and get in the car.

Something makes me look back. Its my grandma. Shes getting on the back of a Harley Davidson hog, driven by a blond rebel looking dude with a leather jacket and shades, a bad ass from the '50s.

"Say bye to your abuelita" my mom says.

I look out the window and see the bike is following us. "Where is she going?" I ask. I get no response.

The whole time my grandma has a smile on her face, the bike starts to elevate and ride up...two three feet.

The bike passes us on the right side and I see my grandma smiling as the bike elevates higher, riding into the sky.

My stupid ass is crying by now and one last time I say another smartass stupid thing:

*crying*..."my sweats..." shes taking my favorite sweats to heaven.

My grandma almost telepathically probably heard me. With one quick swipe she takes them off and i look next to me to the left and on the car seat are my sweats neatly folded. I cry more.

Then I wake up. Takes me a second to take everything in, and real tears come to my eyes and flood my face for 5 minutes.

Rest In Peace Grandma Chayo. Everyone still and will miss you.
I know youre watching over me.

No comments:

Post a Comment