Friday, October 29, 2010

The Fate of the Honest Man

Sunday, January 25, 2009
The Fate of the Honest Man...by me
I was born in poverty in the early 1950s.Working at an early age to provide for my family and numerous siblings.Starting at age 15, ignoring school and play, rising with the sun to work hard .Saving my money throughout adolescence my early youth so I could afford a educationThrough Hard work I went to college briefly.Meanwhile I worked menial jobs to cover expenses.One day i was shining a very important looking man's shoes on a street cornerAfter brief conversation he offers me a job at his bank. He owns a bank. Wow.I eagerly accept his offer and inform him of my limited education but vast reserves of energy and desire to work and learn the ropes. He admires this which is why he says he offers me the job.I start at the bank, nervous and excited to work in such an important building for such an important man.Years go by, and gradually I begin to move up the ladder, getting promoted.But I see my fellow workers doing despicable things.Stealing, forging and lying. Fattening their pockets behind the old mans back who is now beginning to falter with age and health.My fellow workers tell me "Hey, the old man wont last long, wont you partake in our deeds?""Id rather not" is my reply. The old man's own nephew is the one who steals the most. Lies the most. Forges the mostYet I keep quiet. Out of my old school ways, to Mind My Own Business.But should I say something? Out of loyalty to the old man who one day found me in the streets?One day the news comes from the man himself. He is retiring. He can no longer go on. He will leave the Bank to the person he trusts the most and is the most loyal and respectful to him: His Nephew. Nepotism at its finest. He proudly accepts the offer.A week later the nephew calls me into his office. He informs me my services are no longer needed.And after 25 years on the job, it is over. Quietly I gather my things and exit the building. A week before Christmas, as I walk out I hear the old time song on the PA, lyrics that I will always remember..."and I say to myself...what a wonderful world......oh yeahhhhh......."THE END.Moral of the Story: More often than not, the honest man fails and the wicked one prevails

No comments:

Post a Comment