Friday, October 29, 2010

Tale of An Illegal Immigrant

Thursday, March 26, 2009
A Tale of an ILLEGAL IMMIGRANT
My name I will not tell you just yet. I lived in a beautiful land. A land where I lived comfortably for a while in the countryside, growing our own food as my family had done for ages. But then the man who ruled my country imposed taxes on the food and land. Then he decided to regulate my religion. He said we had to worship what they worshiped, those in power. I yearned for freedom, freedom of religion, freedom of speech. Tired of having the rich and powerful dictate how I should live and worship and think.So I met with like minded individuals, people who searched for the same basic freedoms as I. We decided to embark on a wooden boat in search of fortune and new lands. A new home to call my own. Sad and with my eyes full of tears I looked back at my homeland as it grew smaller and smaller int he horizon. Left behind were the memories and the graves of my ancestors, our humble homes abandoned to the ravages of time and wild beasts.The journey to the new land was a perilous one. Full of danger at sea. Disease. Rats in the boat. Food grew scarce. But at last after what seemed an eternity, we reached the promised land. We were met with stares by the people who lived there. People who dressed funny, and did not resemble me or any of my travel companions. I felt fear as they eyed me as an abomination they made me feel like I was a strange animal they had never seen before.My countrymen were attacked. Some were killed. Because we were different, foreigners in a strange land. We decided to strike back, we were not going to lay low and let these people attack us and kill us like mere insects. We decided to battle these people. Kill them all. The ones we couldnt kill we tried to reason with. We traded and bartered.We tricked them, deceived them. After all we had education and they were mere savages. We learned to live with them, while slowly my countrymen arrived on more boats. More of us, less of "them". This land was now ours. Free to worship. Free to govern. Free to live how we saw fit Thanks to the grace of God. And the valour of my countrymen. We conquered this pristine land and finally controlled the savages who lived hereWe are now at peace.In this Brave New World ..
.______________________________________________________________

why do people choose to call latinos "illegal immigrants". Maybe their definition of illegal immigrant is someone who comes to someone elses land, hurts them, and takes their jobs and seems to want to "take over". Why, that sounds awfully familiar. Isnt that what European settlers did in the 1700's? The Pilgrims? Plymouth Rock? What do we call those illegal immigrants of times past?We call them Fathers of our Country.What do we call present day immigrants?

Beaners, Ragheads, Wetbacks, Chinks

No comments:

Post a Comment